The Colorado High School Athletics Association and the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment approved new guidelines and protocols for student athletes, coaches and trainers returning for Season B (Winter Sports). Athletic practices for Season B sports will begin on Monday, Jan. 18 and competitions will begin the week of Monday, Jan. 25.
Please note that at this time, APS is not offering transportation for participants during Season B. Athletes will be responsible for their own transportation to and from practices and competitions.
As student athletes return, they will be required to receive regular, free COVID-19 testing and adhere to our updated health guidelines below.
Updated Health Guidelines for Team Sports
Participants in Season B sports, which include coaches and trainers in addition to student athletes, will be expected to follow strict COVID-19 health guidelines. Please see below for details.
Cheer and Dance
- Masks must be worn during practice.
- Masks must be worn by all participants during competitions. Individuals may remove their masks once their routine/competition begins.
- With the exception of trainers and coaches, no more than 12 players can be on the bench and suited up.
- A maximum of 24 players are allowed per game.
- All participants are required to wear masks throughout practices and competitions.
- 25 participants are allowed during practice.
- 50 participants are allowed during a swim/dive competition.
- Masks will be worn unless participants are in the water.
- A maximum of 20 Duals/Matches throughout the season is permitted, with 4 allowed per week.
- 25 total participants are allowed during a practice session.
- Multi-team tournaments are not approved.
- All participants are required to wear masks until the match begins.
Free Mandatory COVID-19 Testing for Season B Student Athlete Participants
All student athletes and coaches will begin COVID-19 testing through a third-party medical provider starting the week of Jan. 11. Testing will be required twice a month and is FREE to APS student athletes and coaches. We have secured testing sites at Aurora Central, Gateway, Hinkley, Rangeview, and Vista PEAK Preparatory to conduct these tests. Athletes and coaches at Aurora West College Preparatory Academy and William Smith will have the option to go to any of the other schools to receive their tests.
Athletes, trainers and coaches will be divided into two groups and are required to be tested on alternating weeks. Parents and guardians will be responsible for scheduling their students’ COVID-19 tests. Parents and guardians will also need to sign a consent form prior to the first time their student receives a test. Students will be required to present this consent form at the time of their first test. To view the testing schedule, access the parent/guardian consent form for testing, and schedule a test for your student athlete during their designated week, CLICK HERE or visit the APS Athletics website at athletics.aurorak12.org.
- View frequently asked questions about COVID-19 testing and updated health guidelines for athletic participants.
Please know that health guidelines to ensure our student and staff safety are constantly evolving and may change throughout the upcoming athletic season. We appreciate your support in implementing these updated practices to ensure everyone remains safe and healthy.
APS Athletics Department